Friday, August 15, 2008

 

Daycare Issues

Our current daycare provider is undergoing some minor surgery, so chibiguri spent yesterday and will be spending today with her sister, who is also a licensed daycare provider. This has caused chibiguri some problems.

chibiguri is shy. He does not immediately jump into a new situation, but prefers to observe and get comfortable. And he prefers to enter a new situation with as much moral and emotional support as possible. His personal preference is to have both parents (Amaguri and me) present when said situation appears. However, he is still likely to react with negative emotions.

yesterday when I took chibiguri to the temporary daycare location, he cried and clung to me like a little limpet- refusing to be detached. It was only when the daycare provider managed to distract him that I was able to escape, and he was in the midst of an attack of tears when I departed. However, he was quite happy by the time I came to pick him up, and therefore I was sure that his momentary apprehension was finished. Not so fast.

This morning, i got a repeat of the clinging performance, and he once again cried when it became apparent to him that I was going to leave him in this strange house (notwithstanding the fact that he has been there before, according to the daycare provider!). He also had a couple of little friends from his normal daycare present, and at least one of them also was very homesick.

While I understand chibiguri's desire for comfort, I think that Amaguri and I need to work on him to increase his comfort level in new places and situations. I hate to make him unhappy, but he needs to become more accustomed to standing on his own two feet as opposed to relying on the support of parents. Perhaps this is simply an attention-getting device, but we shall see. It is certain that chibiguri is not a go-getter who is able to take any situation in hand and immediately master it. Hopefully when I go to pick him up today he will once again be happily engaged in playing with the other children. We shall see....

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?